Book Review : The Year of Taking Chances by Lucy Diamond


Title : The Year of Taking Chances

Author : Lucy Diamond

Publication Date : 1 January 2015

Publisher : Pan Macmillan

Source : Sent by publisher (Thanks and Happy New Year!)

Overall : 5/5

Because love is always worth the risk...

It's New Year's Eve, and Gemma and Spencer Bailey are throwing a house party. There's music, dancing, champagne and all their best friends under one roof. It's going to be a night to remember.

Also at the party is Caitlin, who has returned to the village to pack up her much-missed mum's house and to figure out what to do with her life; and Saffron, a PR executive who's keeping a secret which no amount of spin can change. The three women bond over Gemma's dodgy cocktails and fortune cookies, and vow to make this year their best one yet.

But as the months unfold, Gemma, Saffron and Caitlin find themselves tested to their limits by shocking new developments. Family, love, work, home - all the things they've taken for granted are thrown into disarray. Under pressure, they are each forced to rethink their lives and start over. But dare they take a chance on something new?

#NewYearResolutions

Read a book by an author new to you.

I have been looking forward to reading this book since I saw tweets on Twitter. I have seen Lucy Diamond’s books at bookstores but never read them. Hence, this is my first book by Lucy Diamond and I must say, I loved it! I was absolutely hooked from the start and enjoyed every page of this four hundred pages and more book. The story isn’t new or extraordinary to us. Three women facing problems in either relationship, career or both. Loved how stories of these three women unfold and the plot was for me, brilliant! How great writing could transform a simple story! Well done, Lucy!

The Year of Taking Chances follows the lives of three women – Gemma, Saffron and Caitlin. Three of them meet on Gemma’s New Year’s Eve party and their friendship starts to bloom. Saffron is pregnant and unsure of what she should do and Caitlin, who is struggling to move on after her mother, Jane’s death. They are characters that you can’t help but connect to them instantly. Such strong, real characters that make you feel as though every little thing you have ever dreamed of is possible.

This book left me feeling so emotional and I just have no idea how to talk about it. A very special mention to my fave character - Bunty. She’s the craziest diva I have ever read about. My goodness, this woman. I was mad at her for her unnecessary and ridiculous requests, she’s like a hybrid of Ariana Grande and Paris Hilton (no offence to fans!) and then I was so moved to tears when she reveals her soft side. It made me believe that people could actually change. The plot twists were so unexpected and I couldn’t believe the great thing that happened to the characters. I was hoping for all three of them to have their happy endings! I was there, secretly wishing for sulky, temperamental characters to change for the better. Gemma’s hormonal kids, I could absolutely feel them. Was a teenager before, heh. I adored the male characters – Max and Harry (he is delicious!). These guys make falling in love seem so simple that I died a little when they finally find their partner. They love their partners so passionately and I was there selfishly imagining to be Saffron or Cait. Sighhh. Generally, fabulous characterization. I hated no one, they’re all lovely!

Lucy Diamond has touched on a few serious issues in this book and handled them flawlessly. This book is so strong and one will feel instantly uplifted after reading this. What makes it a great book for a new year – it urges you to take new paths in life and do things that you have never wanted to try. Life is about seizing the day instead of watching days go by and regretting you have not done enough. This book was a rollercoaster of emotions and I know it will stay with me for years.

The Year of Taking Chances is a book that will tug at your heartstrings, make you weep and smile. It is everything you look for in a book to start a new year. Perfect start for the year, light, uplifting and heartwarming. Get yours here.

Comments

Popular Posts