Book Review : Me Before You by Jojo Moyes


Title : Me Before You

Author : Jojo Moyes

Publication Date : 31 December 2012

Publisher : Michael Joseph

Source : Purchased

Overall : 5/5

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn’t know is she’s about to lose her job or that knowing what’s coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he’s going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn’t know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they’re going to change the other for all time.

I am probably late to the party. I am mentally kicking myself for not picking this book up sooner because it is hands down, the most heart-wrenching story I have ever read. Like ever.

First of all, I am excited for the movie (out in Malaysia on 2nd of June, YAY!). Second thing you should know, the movie-tie-in cover is gorgeous. I need to calm down right now. Okay, you guys probably have read the book waaa….y before me, or watched the trailer as many times as I did but for the rest of you who have no clue of what the hype about, scroll down to find out more!

Me Before You follows the story of Louisa (Lou) Clark and Will Traynor, two people with opposite perspectives of living. Will lives dangerously, loves adventures, has a lot of plans to live life fully until a motorbike hits him and leaves him a quadriplegic. He loses the enthusiasm and sparkle and shuts people out. When Lou stepped into his life as his caregiver, he becomes more open-minded and brightens up. As they spend time together, he believes that his life is worth living and she begins to fully experience life.

When I finished this book, all I could think is how much of an emotional read this book has been. I went through a whole range of emotions and did not know how to process how I felt. It gave me all the feels. It is written in first point of view, which made it even more relatable and real. I loved both the lead characters and they are so realistic. Both the characters are introduced at their emotional state, their fears and insecurities bared. It touched me more than The Fault in Our Stars because they are two lost souls trapped in their own shadows and wanted to guide each other out of it. As the story progresses, they were portrayed stronger and revealing how love changed them.

Though the story revolves around a heavy theme and raises some serious questions that you will find yourself thinking about at night or asking your loved ones. You will find yourself looking at it from many perspectives – religious, legal, ethics and many more. If trapped in a similar situation, would you be willing to act on it like the characters did and how would you feel? For me, this story raised so many doubts about what is right, what is wrong and the most of them all, the right to life.

Despite the seriousness of the theme, language is kept simple and straight forward, making it a page-turner. It is powerful that simplicity could make me bleed so much, hurt so much and disarm me completely. I could put myself in Lou’s shoes, thinking that love could change a person’s mind. Lou’s selfless choices, unconditional love, great big heart made me hope and appreciate the things I took for granted. That was relatable to me at a very personal point and that particular scene was hard for me. Though this story could turn out to be very depressing, Jojo Moyes managed to keep the story light with jokes here and there. The plot was smooth yet emotional with an ending I did not see coming.

All I can say is, Me Before You is not your average love story! Jojo’s writing is impeccable and you will find yourself staying, up all night figuring what’s next. Simple and sweet and the breathtaking romance of Louisa Clark and Will Traynor will give you diabetes. Me Before You is a perfect cocktail of sacrifices, choices, love and life. No doubt, it will move hearts of many.

I cannot wait to read the sequel! Stock up on Kleenex, you will need them.

Comments

Popular Posts