Someone Else's Bookshelf : Holly


Someone Else’s Bookshelf is a weekly activity where I will have one guest every Tuesday to share their favourite books from their shelves, what they are reading and what’s next on their list.

Today, I am glad to have the ever lovely Holly, owner of brilliant blog, Bookaholic Confessions to share her story.


Hi, Holly! Welcome to Eve's Chick Lit Reviews!

Thank you so much for having me on your fabulous blog, Eve. It’s been really fun answering these questions (and it’s made me want to re-read the Shopaholic series...whoops!)

1. What genre do you read most?

The genre I read the most has got to be CHICK-LIT. It is my favourite genre in the whole, wide world and I adore it. I don’t get the criticism and I feel that chick-lit has such negative connotations, which I really wish would change. I read for escapism, to forget the trials and tribulations of everyday life and I want something that is going to sweep me up into the story and make me laugh. Chick lit does this perfectly. Also, sometimes you just want to read something that you know is going to have a happy ending with a bit of romance thrown in for good measure.

I have always believed that you should read for pleasure, and if chick-lit is what you like then read it! Surely ALL reading is good, no matter what the genre, so don’t be embarrassed or feel as though you aren’t ‘intellectual’ enough just because you read chick-lit. Read it and be proud, I know I am.

2. Tell us about your favourite books?

I love hundreds and hundreds of books and authors, but I never have any trouble identifying my all-time favourite, which is the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. I love all of Sophie’s books but the Shopaholic series will always be my personal favourite and Becky Bloomwood will always be my favourite ever fictional character. She’s my all-time hero.

She’s made me laugh; made me cry, made me jealous (she’s got great taste! AND she is married to Luke Brandon! Enough said) made me nod my head in recognition, made me want to go to New York, made me want to go shopping (although that comes naturally anyway...) and most importantly made me fall in love with chick lit.

The minute I pick up one of Sophie’s books I am transported to another place. My worries disappear, I smile, and I have the most fun, exciting adventures along with her characters. If you’re a Shopaholic newbie, then start with The Secret Dream world of a Shopaholic, it’s the first in the series and I guarantee that once you meet Becky Bloomwood you won’t look back...


Some of my other favourite authors include Marian Keyes, whose books never fail to make to laugh and cry, she is one amazingly talented lady. I’m not sure I could pick a favourite book of hers because I love them all so much.

 

Then there’s Cecelia Ahern, whose books are magical and completely in a class of their own. She has such a brilliant way of writing and her books truly are like grown-up fairytales. My personal favourite is How to Fall in Love, but again, they’re all brilliant.


One of my other all-time favourite books is My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Never have I been so engrossed in a story and completely shocked by the outcome. This one is a real page-tuner, as are all of Jodi’s books.

 

And last but not least, I would have to say ANY book by Katie Fforde. She is a romance queen in my eyes and I love her classic, timeless stories. My favourite Katie Fforde book is probably Flora’s Lot, but they are all perfect escapism and you know that you can never go wrong with one of her books.


3. What are you reading now?

I have just started The French for Christmas by Fiona Valpy. It’s my first Christmas novel of the year (hurray!) and there seem to be so many good ones being released this autumn. Christmas is my favourite time of year, so naturally I am very excited. You can’t beat a romantic, wintry, glitzy Christmas story.

4. Lastly, what book do you plan on reading next?

Ahh, this is tricky! It takes me ages to decide what I’m going to read next (My To-Be-Read list is scarily big; I try not to think about it...) I have been reading a lot of eBooks lately, so I think it’s time to dig out a paperback. I have been desperate to read The Memory Book by Rowan Coleman since it came out and I haven’t yet got round to it, so I might just have to sneak that one in next...

Thanks for joining us today, lovely!

Feel free to check out Holly's blog and tweet her (@BookaholicHolly)!

Comments

Popular Posts