Book Review : A Hundred Pieces of Me by Lucy Dillon


Title : A Hundred Pieces of Me

Author : Lucy Dillon

Publication Date : 27 February 2014

Publisher : Hodder & Stoughton

Source : Sent by the publisher (Thanks!)

Overall : 5/5

Letters from the only man she's ever truly loved.

A keepsake of the father she never really knew.

A blue glass vase that catches the light on a grey day.


Gina Bellamy is starting again, after a few years she'd rather forget. But the belongings she's treasured for so long don't seem to fit who she is now.

So Gina makes a resolution. She'll keep just a hundred special items - the rest can go.

But that means coming to terms with her past and learning to embrace the future, whatever it might bring...


I have been looking forward to the publication day (it’s today, YAY!) of Lucy’s new book, A Hundred Pieces of Me ever since I read the synopsis. The cover is totally gorgeous, great combination of colours. The title made a lasting impression on me and I told myself I must read this. It’s my first book by Lucy and I am really glad I read this.

To keep it short, A Hundred Pieces of Me follows the story of Gina, a newly divorced lady that decides to move on with her life and start afresh. Moving from her lovely house to a new flat, she has to choose a hundred items from the things that she has spent a lifetime collecting. A hundred that matter most and each of the hundred items has its own meaning. What would the hundred items be?

This book just blew me away. Just wow. WOW! I really didn’t expect to fall in love with it like I did. Though it’s five hundred pages long, it felt easy for me and not long winded. I couldn’t express how much I adored this book. A Hundred Pieces of Me was a rather slow-paced book, relaxed and comforting. I enjoyed reading the flashbacks and I was so desperate to find out more about her life. Gina’s absolutely inspirational, not to mention easily relatable and I felt connected to her almost instantly. I imagined Lucy Dillon herself or Amy Adams (Lucy and Amy look really alike!) as Gina! This character was really wonderfully developed and I couldn’t ask for more. She’s another female fiction characters I found myself as a massive fan. I watched her grow, from the young, carefree, naïve Gina, the wife, the sick patient with cancer, the divorcee and the strong, single woman.

This book really made me think hard. Like really hard. Not just about a hundred items but life. One hundred items, what a challenging task! Right from the start, I have started thinking of my own list of a hundred items to keep. The hundred items was a little too difficult for me so I decided to change items to books. A hundred books. The list is still incomplete (haha!). I really loved the concept that Lucy has tried to bring forward to readers. This book came with a strong message – to let go of the past and live the moment and appreciate every one instead of taking for granted. Make new memories, don’t live in the past and regret what you have done and have not. Life is too short for regrets and it really made me realise what is important in life.

As Gina moves on with her life, I got to see how every moment was immortalized by the ‘happy’ photos taken with the Polaroid. The slow-paced story made the idea of stopping to appreciate the moment even clearer. I couldn’t praise Lucy enough for that! I am not sure about other readers but that’s how it made me feel. The idea behind this story was very interesting and the plot was fantastic. I am a hoarder and I find it almost impossible to throw things away. I keep everything, from dresses, movie tickets, wine corks, coins, birthday cards to watches and the list goes on. There’s a romantic side to this utterly fab book and I fell hard for Nick, he’s a Prince Charming! I loved how their paths entwined and events that brought them together to a sweet and emotional relationship. The way this story ended was light and that’s such a great balance to the entire story. I would like to keep this review really short as it’s better for you to read the book rather than how much I enjoyed it.

A Hundred Pieces of Me was a rollercoaster of emotions and I know it will stay with me for a very long time. Did I mention there’s a lovely greyhound in it? Heehee. I have decided to get a Polaroid and fill my memo board with lovely pictures!

If you were to keep a hundred items, what would they be?

A Hundred Pieces of Me is a lovely book that will tug at your heartstrings and change the way you look at life. This book is a perfect start for the year, light and heartwarming. It will make you cry, laugh, smile and stay up late to finish it. Fabness guaranteed and do stock up on Kleenex (and Polaroid films) if you are planning to read it! Stay tuned for an interview with Lucy! It will go live later today!

HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY, LUCY! x

Comments

Popular Posts