Author Interview : Jill Knapp-Zitron

Today on Eve’s Chick Lit Reviews, I am glad to be interviewing the very lovely Jill about her novel, Chase! Thank you for answering my questions and have a great day, Jill!


The question that 23-year old Amalia Hastings wants the answer to is: What happens to men when they move to Manhattan?

Life in the big city gives Amalia a ride she is not expecting. As she tries to find her way on the little island that never sleeps, she discovers she has a harder time navigating through life then she does the streets of Greenwich Village and finds herself truly lost in the complex world of men, graduate school, money, family, and friendship.

She thought she had everything she wanted – a new apartment in Manhattan, a first-rate education at NYU, a group of trusted friends and Nicholas, a boyfriend who she once believed was her soul-mate. But somehow, it isn’t enough.

Stumbling through her relationships, Amalia encounters Michael. An attractive classmate who quickly moves from being one of her close friends, to an inconsistent friend-with-benefits. After all, the only thing consistent about New York is its beauty.

After getting terribly lost searching for love in all the wrong places, Amalia finds herself torn between the possibility of a relationship, and an adventure she's been planning all along.

She eventually realizes that solely chasing love closes her off to all of the other good things life has to offer. Now she must decide – what is worth the chase?


1. Could you tell us more about your book, Chase?

I like to think of Chase as a coming of age story- at least it will be once the entire series is completed! The novel is about 23 year old, New Yorker, Amalia Hastings. She’s a little bit of a mess, but still likeable. She’s recently enrolled in a graduate program at NYU and living in the city she’s always dreamed about living in, but for some reason she’s still not happy. Her eye begins to wander to one of her closest friends who happens to be a classmate. The hiccup? They’re both in a relationship. The book is really about Amalia learning about what is and what isn’t worth chasing in life.

2. What was the inspiration behind it?


I had never really read a story like it before. Sure millions of books take place in New York, but I had never read one about a graduate student. I wanted to write something about what it was like to live in NYC when you are young and perusing not only your career, but a relationships also all while trying to maintain your friendships and keep your grades up.

3. Did you always know you would be a writer?

Yes and no. I always wrote. I kept a journal, I always found enjoyment in creative writing in school, but ultimately I was studying Psychology and for the longest time wanted to become a psychologist.  I received my MA and taught Psych on the college level for 3 years before moving out of the NY/NJ area to focus on my writing. I now write full time, and I love it.

4. Where do you see yourself in ten years?

I see myself hopefully with a lot more books under my belt (and picked up by a major publisher!) I’d also love to turn my novels into a television series.

5. Which part of  Chase was the most fun to write?

The ending. I really like how my book ends, and I like the way Amalia stands up for herself.

6. Do you have a favourite book or maybe, a favourite author?

My favorite book is Siddhartha by Herman Hesse and my favorite author is Emily Giffin. Two very different writers!

7. Three things that you couldn’t live without?

My dogs (I have two of them but let’s count that as one!), my husband, and ice cream.

8. A piece of advice for my lovely readers who are thinking of becoming writers?

Just start writing! I think a lot of people say they’re going to write, but then don’t because life gets in the way. Just sit down one say and start writing, in any order, and see what happens.

9. Lastly, what are you working on now? Tell us more about it?

Right now I am working on my second installment of Chase and I am always thinking up new articles for The Huffington Post!

Comments

Popular Posts