Book Review : A Gift to Remember by Melissa Hill


Title : A Gift to Remember

Author : Melissa Hill

Publication Date : 24 October 2013

Publisher : Simon & Schuster

Source : Sent by the publisher (Thank you!)

Overall : 5/5

Darcy Archer works in a small bookstore in Manhattan. A daydream believer, she refuses to settle for anything less than being swept off her feet by the perfect man...literally.

One day, when cycling to work, Darcy accidentally crashes into a sharply dressed gentleman walking his dog. He is knocked out cold, rushed to hospital and the poor pup and a gift-wrapped package are left behind.

Wracked with guilt, Darcy takes the dog and vows to reunite both him and the mysterious gift with owner, Aidan. As she discovers this stranger's world of books, travel, adventure and all the wonderful things she's ever dreamt about, Darcy builds a picture of the man and wonders if he could be THE ONE...

But does fantasy matches reality? And when Aidan wakes up, will he be the happy-ever-after Darcy's always imagined?

I have never read any of Melissa's books before this (such a shame, I know!) and A Gift to Remember was my very first. I would really love to thank the amazing publicists at S&S for sending me a copy of this lovely fairytale. Despite the fact that my finals is getting closer (even closer now!), I told myself I must finish this book before release date and I made it! Yay! I would like to praise Melissa for her brilliant writing and this story certainly warms many hearts. I am pretty sure readers and reviewers out there would agree with me! I am in love with the gorgeous cover, the blue and white were greatly combined and the open book is really something different! The illustrators definitely did a great job! I also loved the quotes at the beginning of each chapter as they reflect Darcy's love for literature.

AGTR follows the story of a Jane Austen fan, Darcy, who is obsessed with books (I could totally understand that!) and daydreams about the hot men from those classics she is into. She has a job at a small bookstore in New York which is her DREAM JOB. Though her aunt Katherine tries to match make her with eligible bachelors, no one seems to live up to her expectations. Fiction over reality, any day. On the way to work one snowy day, she accidentally hit a man and he is unconscious. Taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, Darcy takes care of his puppy and this encounter basically develops the whole story and I would consider it as the beginning of a whole new love story. While this stranger, Aidan suffers from memory loss and is kept in the hospital, Darcy is out on the snowy streets of the glamour Manhattan, trying to put pieces together to help Aidan connect with his loved ones.

Darcy, the heroine, I want her life so badly. I could relate to her in many ways and just could put myself in her shoes and walk in them as I love books and New York. How could one not like fictions? Isn't it better to dream of lovely male characters than to dream of getting someone you can't in real life? I know well that they are all fictional characters but sometimes I would rather live in books as I find it comforting. Fact. My love for Darcy grew even more when I discovered she's a dog lover. As Aidan is in the hospital, she takes care of his husky, Bailey (such a classy name!). I am a massive dog lover but never a fan of huge dogs but I really want a husky after reading AGTR. I just saw one the other day.

At one point,  I was sooo...ooo unsure if the story would turn out like how I hoped. I was worried and after a few twists and turns, the ending was indeed VERY satisfying and left me filled with joy. Really hope there would be a sequel!

All in all, AGTR was an enjoyable, snowy journey. A perfect read for Christmas. Read this beautiful book over a mug of hot tea and warm gingerbreads. I assure you this is a book you would not forget! Head out and get yourself a copy or order it on Amazon! Connect with the lovely Melissa on Twitter (@melissahillbks)!

As for me, I am signing off to do some research on Something from Tiffany's. Just love the sound of the title! Every girl secretly wants something from Tiffany's. Waking up to a baby blue box with pearly white ribbon is ideal.

HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY, MELISSA!

Till then, loves! xx

Comments

Popular Posts